A room with a view!
This picture was taken from a house on a market gardening
small holding that dates back to the 18th century. It is now owned by an
Inskip and used to be owned by the Stanbridges. It looks along The Knoll
towards George Street and up to the Village Church
(St Mary the Virgin,
rebuilt in 1837 apart from the tower). This is the village centre where many
of the Inskips lived and died, married and were buried.
Photo taken By
Ampthill Workhouse was
built in 1835-1836, designed
by architect James Clephan. It
consisted of several
blocks of buildings in red brick. In 1894 the
workhouse accommodated 469 inmates
and the surrounding parishes, which formed the Union.
operated under a strict regime
of discipline and segregation.
Maria Hudson b. 1856 who
was married to Charles William Summerfield b. 1861 spent all her childhood
in the Ampthill Union Workhouse as a pauper with her siblings - so